Welcome to Victory For Women

Welcome to Victory For Women

Your Community

World Hemophilia Day
V4WChelsea's picture
April 17, 2018
April 17, 2018 marks the 28th World Hemophilia Day. This year's focus is the importance of sharing...
Comments (0) Appreciates (4)
v4wModerator's picture
April 04, 2018
Posted on behalf of community member Jo Funderburk, Founder of Moms Like Her.  “Please be a boy,...
Comments (0) Appreciates (6)
Jacey Lynn Gonzalez's picture
March 07, 2018
Hi little one,  There is a bright and strong light inside of you. You just have to discover it. I...
Comments (0) Appreciates (9)
Jacey Lynn Gonzalez's picture
March 05, 2018
I was 16 years old the first time I stepped inside the United States Capitol Building. It was the...
Comments (0) Appreciates (5)
Red Tie Campaign
V4WChelsea's picture
March 01, 2018
It's Bleeding Disorders Awareness Month and the kick-off the 2018 Red Tie Campaign! The National...
Comments (1) Appreciates (9)
V4WChelsea's picture
February 28, 2018
The last day of February each year marks Rare Disease Day! The goal is to raise awareness with the...
Comments (0) Appreciates (7)
Family Emergency Kit Checklist
V4WChelsea's picture
February 15, 2018
HANDI's newly-revised its Family Emergency Kit Checklist is now available in PDF format! The...
Comments (0) Appreciates (20)
essential items to bring to the emergency room or hospital
V4WChelsea's picture
February 13, 2018
Emergency situations can arise at any time. If you have to go the emergency room or hospital, it's...
Comments (0) Appreciates (19)

Your Questions

Your Questions Matter! Find out how our panel of medical experts answered questions from women in the community.
Dr. Expert's picture
Experts Answer:

The pathogenic variant does not change over time but in VWD there is significant expressivity and incomplete penetrance (how much the mutation affects VWD production or clearance of it from the body). In type 1 VWD for example about 60% of the VWF level is explained by blood type and genetic mutation and the other 40% is explained by unknown other changes in DNA outside of the VWF gene and environmental factors like sex hormones, thyroid hormone, age, stress and other medical illnesses. We see this with differences in bleeding patterns with the same mutation in siblings and even slightly different levels. With any complex disorder such hypertension, diabetes and even VWD there can be significant differences particularly in those with milder disease. We see this in clinics with sibling with very different bleeding patterns and bleeding differences between mother and child.   

Ask a Question
Victory for Women V4W's Featured Woman

The Victory Spotlight is a woman who has demonstrated her commitment to making her voice heard on behalf of women and girls with bleeding disorders through education, advocacy, mentoring and service. She represents and celebrates the potential of...Read More